Good food, good friends.

Gibbett Hill?  Yes, please!

My husband James and I have wanted to eat at Gibbett Hill in Groton for quite some time.  So when my best friend Kristy and her husband Jeff asked us if we wanted to go out to dinner there, we couldn't say no. 

Cindy's Crab Dip
Upon seating, our waitress came over and asked if we had ever been to Gibbett Hill before.  James and I of course said, "no".  Our kind waitress then went on to overwhelm us by reviewing the entire menu with us in about 60 seconds flat.  Whoa, what just happened?

I think I need a drink.  Then began the question of what do we want to drink?  James and Kristy started with the Gibbett Hill Ale, Jeff began with the Steel Rail Ale, and me, I started with the Wachusett Country Ale. 

Should we get an appetizer?  Why of course we should!  Why not 2!  We went with Cindy's Crab Dip, and the Herb Ricotta Pizzeta.  The pizzeta was mediocre at best, but the crab dip was AMAZING.  We pretty much devoured it.  I would say it had crab, cream, cheese all bubbled together in a little crock.  We overloaded the crackers with the dip, and when those ran out, we started dipping bread into it.  We also had some cornbread - very tasty.

For dinner, the ladies got the smaller filet mignons with mac and cheese (cheddar and chive), creamed spinach, and mashed potatoes.  James went with the larger filet mignon, asparagus, and as he described them the best onion rings he's ever had.  "I don't even need ketchup for these."  He coupled his filet with a little Bearnaise sauce.  Delicious.  Jeff went with the large dry aged bone-in sirloin.  I actually don't even remember what sides he got with this steak, because his steak looked so amazing, I didn't notice anything else on his plate!  Not to mention I didn't really look up once my food was placed in front of me.  I was way too busy stuffing my face.

We all struggled with finishing our meals, but we did our best to become members of the clean plate club.  After squirming in our chairs because we were so stuffed, most of us decided ahhh why not, let's get dessert!  Shockingly, I got creme brulee.  I love breaking that sugar crusted topping!  I promise to try making my own soon.  I'll be sure to post my success or failure on that project.  Jeff went with the carrot cake, and James with the millionaires coffee.  No, there was no money in this coffee, just liquor.  Kristy decided she couldn't take anymore and skipped dessert.

All in all a great meal with great friends.  If you plan to be in the Groton area, I highly recommend making a reservation and checking out the grill at Gibbett Hill. The wood beams, and fireplace just add to the wonderful ambiance.  Good food, good beverage selection...you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment