Easy, Breezy, Beautiful...Salad.

If you know me at all, you know I have been bringing my own lunch since grade school.  I don't drink a Coke with my lunches anymore, but now drink a nice healthy glass of water.  And slim jims as a snack don't really fly either. 

Depending on the week, my lunches can range from your standard cold cut sandwich, to veggie wraps, to soup, to salad.  Today, I'm featuring the salad I've been making for the last few weeks.  It's simple, doesn't have a ton of ingredients, or calories for that matter.  This recipe isn't rocket science at all, but maybe its simplicity will give you inspiration to bring your lunch this week.  Bikini season IS right around the corner after all. 

I get a large container of the organic spring mix.  I highly recommend getting organic lettuce, as lettuce is one of the dirty dozen vegetables.  Check the date on the spring mix.  It doesn't tend to last more than 5 days, so you definitely don't want to get one that says it's only good until tomorrow, because it will never last you the full work week.  If you're making lunches for more than one person, you may want to pick up your spring mix at BJ's (yes, I know I single handedly keep BJ's in business with my 2 person household) because it will last you the whole week.  If you're cooking for 1, the container of spring mix at your local grocer should be big enough to last you for an entire work week.  And if you're cooking for more than 2, well I think you can figure it out. :-)

To my spring mix, I add halved cherry tomatoes, a little feta, some raisins, candied walnuts, and peppercinis (because I'm slightly addicted to them if you couldn't tell from my Pizza Stone post).  When I eat my salad at lunch, I always save my peppercinis for last, which is the same way I would eat the marshmallows in my Lucky Charms.  I measure out exactly one serving of balsamic vinaigrette to complete this salad (all the calories are in your salad dressing, so beware!).  Now, if you want a little something extra for your salad, you can add your favorite fruit, maybe some sliced strawberries or pears even! 

I typically have a Chobani yogurt as my snack with lunch (a new, recent addiction of mine).  It's delicious and filling!




No comments:

Post a Comment