Kale Soup...My grandmother would be so proud.

So I was sitting in the waiting room at the dentist office when I decided to pass the time looking through a magazine.  While I was flipping through the pages, I came across an article about a Portuguese woman and her amazing Kale soup.  My Cape Verdean grandmother (Mama) has been making Kale soup my whole life, but I've never made it.  I decided it's winter, it's cold, I'm always making soups and chilis, why not try this one out.  So I snap some pictures of the ingredients and the recipe with my phone, and proceed to get my teeth cleaned.

I attempted this soup a few weeks later, and brought some over to Mama's house for approval.  My family thought it was good, and so did my husband and I.  I've made it another time, and look forward to making and enjoying it many more times.  

I just want to mention again, this is not my original recipe, but one I found in a magazine.


1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2 medium-size onions, chopped
Kale Soup cooking in the pot.
That linguica looks oh so good!
1 pound linguiça, sliced
4 cups chicken broth
1 pound fresh kale, de-stemed, cut into small pieces
1 can Campbell's “Bean with Bacon” soup plus 1 can water
2 large potatoes, peeled, cubed
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper

In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add oil and cook garlic, onions, and linguiça slices until onions are soft. Add 4 cups chicken broth and kale. Cover, and let kale cook down, stirring occasionally.
Add “Bean with Bacon” soup and water; simmer about 5 minutes. Add cubed potatoes. Simmer, covered, 20–30 minutes longer, till potatoes are soft.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment