Another freezable dish - My Spinach Stuffed Shells!

Keep on freezing - that's what I always say.

I love pasta, and I love pasta sauce even more.  But clearly this isn't good for me, unless I'm going for a run later and need the carbs for energy.  To justify having pasta, I sometimes throw a bunch of spinach in to make me feel better.  Now, I won't lie this recipe isn't all that good for you, but it tastes good.  So make it, have small portions and get your butt to the gym after so you don't feel bad :-)

In a sauce pan, I combine a moderate amount of jarred spaghetti sauce (clearly this is the lazy man version, I am not making this sauce from scratch!  Who has time for that?  Especially when I'm going to have a newborn!)  Add a bag of frozen chopped spinach and here's the unhealthy part, half a block of cream cheese.  Now, I use the low fat version to make me feel better about it.  The sauce will take on a vodka sauce appearance; light red to orange in color with lots of spinach green!

Cook your Jumbo shells according to the package, and remove when they are al dente!  Before they all start sticking together in your strainer, throw a little sauce in there.

In a bowl combine your fat free ricotta cheese (I get the smaller container) with some mozzarella cheese (about a cup), a beaten egg, and about half your sauce mixture.  Now, start stuff those shells!  Place them in a baking dish, and cover with your remaining sauce.  Cook at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.  If you are freezing this dish, give it a day to thaw, and cook for about 10 minutes longer.

OH - and don't forget to sprinkle a little mozzarella cheese on top in the last minutes of cooking!

This picture really doesn't do the meal justice.  I was having people over, and wasn't sure of their love for spinach so I did half and half, and then I forgot to take a picture of it when it was actually cooked.  Pregnancy brain strikes again!  It's real.  IT IS.  You have to believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment