Little Green Trees!

It's almost summertime here in New England.  And we all know summer means being outside, catching some rays, and most likely attending or hosting many cookouts.  How about some broccoli salad to spice up your BBQ?  It's a great side to add to those burgers and dogs!

I actually first had this delicious concoction on Christmas Eve a few years ago.  I was loading up my plate at my in-laws and came across a bowl full of broccoli (my all time favorite vegetable) with some other goodies mixed in.  Needless to say, I kept going back to fill my plate with broccoli salad, and made to sure to find out who made it so I could get the recipe.   I've tweaked the recipe a little (like I always do), and feel free to tweak mine to your liking.  This salad is great because you can really put your own spin on it.  I love this recipe because it's another way for me to enjoy those little green trees!

Dressing:
In a bowl, I add a tablespoon of Olive Oil Mayo, a tablespoon of vinegar, and just under 1/4 c of sugar.  Blend well.

Then add the following to the bowl:
     
  • 2 tablespoons of diced red onion
  • 1/2 c of chopped celery
  • 1/4 c of raisins (I typically use craisins, but maybe you like golden raisins or some other raisin, substitute in whatever you like!)
  • 1/4 c walnuts (I use Emerald Nuts candied walnuts. They are fantastically good.  Not of a fan of the candied walnuts??  Use whatever walnuts you enjoy.)
  • 1/4 c sunflower seeds (If you don't have these in your house, it's perfectly okay to leave them out. The salad will still be delicious!)
  • 3 pieces chopped cooked bacon (Don't use those gross bacon bits.  One, because they are gross.  Two, they are salty.  Three, they will take away from the flavor of this dish.  If you hate bacon like my friend Kristy does, leave it out).
  • 2 c of broccoli florets (I tend to estimate the amount of broccoli I put in.  Let's be honest, I estimate most ingredients.  I put enough in so there's a good blend of broccoli with the other ingredients and to help disperse the dressing.  If I find the dressing to be too heavy, I just add more broccoli.)

Not the best photo, but you get the idea.  In this one, I used golden raisins.

Now that the bowl is full of all these goodies, give it a good stir/toss.  Once it's mixed up nicely, it's ready to serve.  Have leftovers?  Throw them in the fridge and eat them tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment