Mother's Day Breakfast

We're so excited to be having my mom over for breakfast this Mother's day.  So what have I decided to make her on this joyous occasion?  A recipe my mother-in-law gave me...keeping with the mother theme.  We've had this dish at my in-laws a few times, and I always rave about how good it is, so I was lucky enough to get the recipe so I could make it for my mom!  I'm hoping my mom loves it as much as I do.

As you know, I'm not really good about following recipes exactly to the tee, so here's my version.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Grease down a baking dish with some cooking spray.  Place two pieces of whole wheat bread on the bottom of the dish (you can remove the crusts if you want, I kept them on), and sprinkle about 1/3 c shredded pepper jack cheese on top.  Rinse and repeat, until you have completed this exercise 3 times in total. 

In a mixing bowl, add 8 large eggs, 1 1/2 c milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of celery salt.  Mix with a whisk.  Pour the egg mixture over the bread.

Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes.  Remove the dish from the stove, pour a cup or so of salsa over the top and sprinkle some more cheese over it.  Put back in the oven for 5 minutes, and presto, your breakfast is ready to eat!



You can probably prep this dish the night before, and throw in the oven in the morning.  I say probably because I haven't tried it, but I imagine it would be fine.

Chipotle Black Bean Hash
Hash Browns
For sides, I took a few chipotle black bean burgers, and cooked them according to the package.  We've recently become acquainted with these burgers, and they are SO good.   They are made by Morningstar - try them!  Once they were cooked, I mashed them up and called it my vegetarian hash.  Even my picky sister thought they were good!  A little side of hash browns, and breakfast is served....with mimosas and coffee on the side of course!

            Cheers to Mom!  Happy Mother's Day!


1 comment:

  1. Breakfast was amazing but the company was even better! I have the most amazing children... including my new son! Thank you all for a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete