Stay warm with some Corn Chowdah

Baby, it's COLD outside.  I won't complain since it's been a fairly warm Winter with pretty much no snow.  I couldn't really ask for anything more, so I will deal with a few cold days.  It is Winter after all.

To stay warm, why not make some corn chowdah for you and your family to enjoy.  This recipe is courtesy of my friend Kelly.
  • 6 ears of fresh corn or 3 cups frozen whole kernel corn
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • ½ cup chopped green sweet pepper
  • 1 tbs cooking oil
  • 1 14oz. can chicken broth (go low sodium)
  • 2 cup cubed, peeled potato
  • 4 tsp all purpose flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 1 ½ cups milk
  • 3 slices bacon, crumbled or 2 tbs bacon pcs
  • 2 tbs snipped fresh parsley (optional)

If using fresh corn, use a sharp knife to cut the kernels of the cobs, you should have about 3 cups corn. Set corn aside.  In a large saucepan, cook onion and sweet pepper in hot oil until the onion is tender but not brown. 

Stir in the chicken broth and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes. Stir in corn and cook for another 10 minutes or until potato and corn are tender, stirring occasionally.

In a bowl combine flour, salt and pepper. Stir milk into flour mixture.  Add to corn mixture in sauce pan. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for one minute more. Add crumbled bacon.  Serve in your favorite bowl, and if desired, garnish each serving with parsley. 


And if you like a little heat, as you know I do, sprinkle some red cayenne pepper on top.  You'll be sweating in no time ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I do one JUST like this... but I use Anaheim Peppers for some kick.

    I like your blog.

    Nick Mazzaglia
    hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like that...I'll have to try that next time. I love kick, hence why I sprinkle with cayenne pepper, but I'm definitely going to try your Anaheim pepper route!

    Thank you....and hope you are also well :-)

    ReplyDelete