Andddd, I'm back....with some slow cooker recipes!

I know, it's been a while.  Quite a while...but what can I say? Summer came.  Which means nice weather, lots of being outside - at the beach - eating and drinking, but no time to sit inside and blog.  Maybe I will get around to posting some of the dishes I made over the summer, but for now Fall is here, which means football, friends, family, FOOD.  Very alliterative of me.

So it's a cool Fall day out there, and maybe you're inside watching the game.  Maybe you have some friends coming over, and maybe you want to make a new recipe without having to fuss when your company arrives.  Well, here I am, your little slow cooker angel!

A couple of weeks ago, we had our newly married friends - Mr. and Mrs. Callahan - over for a dreadful Pats game. Dreadful because they lost, but at least we had good company and good food.  That morning I placed a 1 1/2lb flank steak cut into 4 pieces in the slow cooker, covered it with 3/4 of a diced red onion, and one heaping tablespoon of chili powder.  Add about half a pineapple, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (save the other half for later).  If you have that pineapple corer I've raved about in the past, this is a quick process.  Add some salt, add some pepper, and let that baby sit in the slow cooker for about 7 to 8 hours on low.  Or, if you slept in, and you don't feel like waiting 8 hours til dinner, cook it on high for 4-5 hours....but I mean it's called slow cooking for a reason, so try to aim for the 7 to 8 hours on low.

When you have about a half hour left on the meat, grab a mixing bowl, and add the rest of the pineapple, thinly slice the 1/4 of red onion you have left, add a sliced jalapenos (leave the seeds in for some heat!), 2 tablespoons of lime juice and a little bit of salt and pepper.  Gently toss that together.  Then, add in 1/4 -1/2 cup of cilantro.  I recommend the 1/4 cup unless you love cilantro.  Otherwise, it's really overpowering.  And last but not least, add a diced avocado.

Warm up some soft tortillas....and beep, beep, beep....I think your beef is done.  Add some to your tortilla, top with some pineapple salsa, grab a cold beer from the fridge, and go watch the rest of the game!  Half time is over!!

I'm sorry to say with all the commotion, I did forget to take pictures for your enjoyment.  The good news is, we enjoyed this dish so much, I will be making it again for another football Sunday.  So stayed tuned.  I'll update with pics the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment